Thursday, July 10, 2008

Refections #1: Find your Purpose and Live a Happy Life.....

From time to time, I tend to reflect. Reflect on life and all the blessings it has offered me..........

Upon this reflection, I pay homage to those who help shaped and paved the way for me to find this place of contentment and happinesss. These individuals were family members, friends, childhood teachers, et al. Particularly in my life, the strong influencers were my grandmother and mother…Two ladies of true distinction and class!! Also, many of their friends as well....my elders as one may call them. Listening to elders and learning from their life experiences I found was the secret to finding your place of being and happiness. Because it is through the experiences and lessons learned by way of your elders in which you can leverage to help navigate your own vessel in life. Each of their teachings and conversations, though I found strange or uninteresting at that time, offered an essential clue to establishing my place of being. A frequent topic in my family with my mother and grandmother in the kitchen, around the dinner table, at family gatherings, on the porch (in HOT SAV-GA, HILTHEAD, SC, and HOT ATL) and conversation in general.....was the topic of living a happy life. I did not fully "get the lesson" as a kid but now as an adult in the busy life that we all tend to lead, I realize we forget the simple things and the enjoyment of what it really means to be happy! Happiness is not found in a job title, salary, notoriety, car, or home....instead it is found in you...your state of mind and how you view life....while trying to live it with a purpose!

My Grandmother put it best....."Baby!!! Do what you love to do, do it better than anyone else...and all the REST will follow!"

What she was saying was.....find in life your purpose and enjoy doing it...and all other external things (i.e. the money, car, and various materialistic things) will follow....if that is what you are seeking in life! My grandmother or mother is no longer here with me...but their teachings and learned experiences are! I feel their presence and live by both of ther words daily.

R.I.P.....Annie Bell and Lucille.

1 comment:

ClayStarr said...

because their teachings are here with you, so also are they! and they did a mighty good job with donnieBgood.